Thursday, June 24, 2010

The creative spirit of silence

I have heard more than once that the fact that our kids' lives are chock full of video games, ipods, baseball, ballet and TV, that they are lacking the free time necessary to nurture their creative spirit. I thought about that a lot because I want my boys to be creative, to be inventive, to come up with ideas that are new and unique. I want them to write, to draw, to make music and to be one with the artistic world. So I am concerned about this.

Now my boys, ages 7 and 4, although not as wired as some and not as over-scheduled as others, I still began to wonder, when do they have time to let their minds wander, to imagine, to pretend, to let it all go. Then I thought, when to I!

I don't watch TV, except for the World Cup, and I try to read a lot but still, there is not much time when my mind is free to do its own thing. I usually am working, listening to the radio or talking to the boys. So I thought about that and I realized that I could give my mind some free time if I just turned off the radio, in the bathroom, in the car, and while at work. If I did that for just a little while, I found that all sorts of great ideas would come into my head and take up residence.

Since I started that, I have been much more prolific in my story ideas and in the plot development. I dream of characters, situations, locations, and all aspects of writing. I also dream of the future, think about the boys, imagine all sorts of possibilities and just let go.

I feel a bit more relaxed too since I am no longer listening to all the tragic, heart-breaking news every day. Some would think that I am running away from the world but I know it's there if I ever want to go back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment